Adorable, clean apartment right within walking distance of the city center. Berta was a pleasure to rent from, she answered any questions I had promptly and pleasantly. Free parking behind the building was an added bonus, as it is very tough to find a space if you rent a car! Would definitely stay here again.
1. Nice location in downtown Reykjavik
3. The apartment itself is fairly easy to find off of the main street.
1. The "bed" as called in the property description is more like foam pads lying on a floor with a wooden bed frame around them. Uncomfortable does not begin to describe it.
2. The water is extremely unpredictable. You will have moments in the shower that the water will unexpectedly change from comfortable to boiling hot. I literally got first degree burns from the water. So when you shower, be prepared to have to jump out of the tub at a moment's notice.
3. The shower handles get hot like a pan on the stove. You actually have to use a towel or pot holder to turn the hot water faucet off because it will burn your hand. I had a blister on my finger from this mistake.
4. The information the owner gave us was outdated which caused stress and confusion. Anyone who travels abroad can understand something as simple as planning on having a local phone or access to internet is critical in getting around and making your stay a pleasant one. The owner had apparently upgraded the internet which is great, but didn't tell us and didn't give us any indication of this in the actual apartment. No problem because we can just call her from the local phone, right? Wrong! There is no local phone. She got rid of it and again didn't tell us.
4. There is apparently free parking "around back" according to the owner. This free parking is down a dark alley which is nearly impossible to find. It took us 2 days and a parking ticket before we finally found the parking she was referring to. Also, beware because it does get full and then you are SOL. And good luck figuring out any of the parking meters unless you speak Icelandic.
5. 3 of the 5 nights we were there, random people were trying to get into our apartment at late hours of the evening (turning the door handle, peaking in the windows, squatting in front of the door, banging on the door, yelling at the door, etc.). I’m not sure if the owner double booked the apartment or what, but it made for lousy sleeping and a stressful stay! We emailed the owner about this and she just sort of blew us off.
6. Front of the apartment (including the bedroom) are all windows facing the sidewalk/street from your waist up. So if you feel like a little privacy, I wouldn’t recommend this place.
7. BEWARE OF OWNER!! The owner likes to give negative reviews to renters without any explanation.
I loved this roomy and comfortable apartment in Reykjavik. It is well located at the near beginning of Laugavegur, i.e. Where you want to start walking on Reykjavik's main street.
Easy parking behind the building.
24/7 market across the road.
Lovely Thai restaurant directly across the street.
Tv channels are few but internet connection is excellent.
I didn't use the laundry facility but apparently there is access to one.
Check out the lovely store on Snorrabraut called AFF Concept Store.
Because of the lower price for the area and for Reykjavik, in general, I will give this property a 4-star. If it cost more, I would have given it a 3-star.
The location was great. It is right at the edge of downtown, so less pedestrian traffic, but still very close. You can see the bus stop from the front door. The property's front door opens up right onto the street, which is a trade-off between convenience and a little more noise. This means that you can hear people walking by and the buses. We didn't mind it that much, but it might be a problem if you have more difficulty sleeping. The fact that it is right on the street also means that the windows are are a type of foggy material that makes it so people can't see in. Also, only one window opens, and it is in the bedroom, which prevented some air circulation. We found the apartment quite warm because of this, so Berta brought us a fan, which was so kind of her. With the fan, it was much more comfortable.
I am very concerned about cleanliness. The major things were very clean - linens and the toilet. But, I did think that the apartment could have used a deeper cleaning before out arrival - the cabinets in the bathroom had residue on them, the counters had some sauce on them, the coffee table needed to be wiped down, the wall adjacent to the stove had a lot of food stains, the top of the range head had a lot of dust, and dust bunnies. The good thing is that the cleaning supplies were there, so I was able to take care of this. I voiced this concern to Berta, and she was very concerned, so I'm guessing that this will be attended to in the future.
One major disappointment was that the internet did not work while we were there. This was a bummer and inconvenience for us, as we brought our computer so we could look up tour and city information and also watch some netflix at night to unwind. Berta said she was fixing this, unfortunately it didn't get fixed during our time. We were bummed because we thought this would be included in the price we paid.
A couple of other notes: There was no red chair like in the pictures. There were only 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels and one kitchen towel provided, which was a bit of stretch for a week. The laundry is through a different door in the building and in the basement with other properties' washer and dryers, and we didn't see any dryer designated to our property (even though the property description says washer and dryer), so we didn't do wash.
Berta's apartment was in the perfect location for us to walk down the main shopping street in Reykjavik and conveniently located next to the bus station. When booking tours, the buses were able to pick us up just a couple blocks from the apartment. Our only complaint was that we were hesitant to eat food we'd stored in the refrigerator since it didn't feel very cold and the freezer was full of water. We were able to easily walk along the coast on the paved pathway to the Harpa Concert Hall as well. Overall, convenient location and I would recommend this apartment.
Berta's apartment is the perfect place in Reykjavic, within steps of restaurants, a grocery store, and the city's sights. If you take day trips with the local tour agencies (Gray Line or Retkjavic Excursions), the tour buses pick you up just half a block away from the apartment. Berta was always reachable via email and mobile for any questions. Thank you, Berta!