Zweistöckiges Haus, 3 Schlafzimmer, 2 Bäder, (Schlafmöglichkeiten für 6)
Tim or Misako Canby
Partys / Events nicht erlaubt
Haustiere nicht möglich
Max. Anzahl Gäste:6
100% Erstattung für Stornierungen bis zu 60 Tage vor Anreise. 50% Erstattung für Stornierungen bis zu 30 Tage vor Anreise.
Historic Hawaiian Home
Exactly what we wanted neat old house
And great location
We would rent again...
However lot is bordered by ocean and by Alii Road. Which we knew.
So be prepared for some noise.
We sleep with good ear plugs so we’re fine. Initially damp smell in basement bedroom but aired out ok once we got window and doors open
Yellow house on the water
Right on the water and just far enough out of Kona to get out of most of the noise and crowds. The house is lower than the road which creates a natural barrier from people walking by. Keeps kids in the yard and away from traffic. Grocery store is 1.5 miles away. Protected snorkeling bay is within walking distance. Easy parking in front of the house. I can't say enough about how perfect the location is.
Now here is the reality check:
* The house is older, so don't expect the Sheraton. Old rusty door knobs, outdated cabinets, etc. To me it added to the charm of the place. It's a classic old beach house. I loved it.
* No beach but plenty of tide pools and rocks to climb on and explore. I have teenage kids so they loved it and could get in and out of the water right in front of the house. My mother was too old to navigate the rocks so she mostly stayed on the deck and watched. Take little ones down to Kahalu'u beach park.
* No A/C. Not that I cared. I liked opening up the windows and letting the ocean breeze in. I slept really good. Birds will wake you up in the morning chirping right outside the window but is that a bad thing?
* There is a stand up paddle board and kayak available but if the surf is high it might be too difficult to get in and out of the water through the rocks.
Now, if you can get past the outdated cabinets, no A/C, and don't need a beach right in front of the house read on:
* Boogie boards, snorkels, masks, fins, aqua shoes, beach towels, coolers, kayak, paddle board, chairs, charcoal bbq, etc, etc. It's all there ready to use.
* We scuba dove at 2 step, 4 mile Alii, in front of Kona Beach Bungalows, and at the house. We found in front of the house to be the best of all 4 spots.
* Tidepools come alive at night. Take flashlights and explore. cowries, crabs, eels, and even an octopus at night right in front of the house.
* Birds come and visit all day. If you sit on the deck, expect little finches to land on the rail and wait for you to drop crumbs. There were also a pair of Franklin's (type of partridge) that hung out at the house.
* Archeological site right on the property!!
* My brother stayed at the Sheraton and his kids only wanted to come hang out at the yellow house.
* Occasional locals fishing from the rocks. Be nice and they are happy to share their culture. One even showed us how to catch crabs with simple string!
* Talk to the owner Tim. Nice guy. You won't be disappointed.
Wow! Yours is a nice analysis for our house. I think most people enjoy the house in the same way but can’t say it as beautifully as you did. Thank you!
Charm and Relaxation at the best beach house on Kona!
We stayed 10 days at the Canby Cottage on the beach, enjoying our morning coffee while being entertained by dolphins, the whales and the morning Catamaran Paddlers and rocked to sleep at night by the mesmerizing waves and ocean breeze. The Canby's have opened up their home and their history to provide a welcoming experience, close to any and all activities in which you might choose - or not - to participate. Mahalo
We had a wonderful family Christmas. Our party consisted of 6 adults. We enjoyed the location, the fully equipped kitchen and the deck! We did several day trips and spent a number of days closer to home. We appreciated all the items such as beach towels, coolers, beach chairs, binoculars etc. On our last day we saw whales and dolphins from the deck which was a highlight. The house is located close to a busy road (particularly busy at Christmas time) which was not an issue for us but some may not like it. This is our fourth vacation rental on the Hawaiian Islands and our favourite.
Wonderfull ocean front setting
Ocean front location. Tim communicated wonderfully and answered any questions we had in a timely fashion. When renting a vacation home it comes down to expectations. We tend to go with quirky or unique rentals when we travel so this looked right up our alley. The location was great with 2 exceptions, 1st was the main road about 50' outside the upstairs bedroom, 4 or 5 loud cars or motorcycles each morning would make for an early morning wake up call that would overpower the ocean sounds. The other is the neighboring house about 25' to the south. Neither have anything to do specifically with this house other than being unexpected based on pictures or descriptions. The house was very well stocked and better than expected in that respect. The interior is dated, but it is part of the charm of this beach house.